Competency Topics :
Includes 2nd Mate (PG), Mate (FG), and the following:
A) SAFETY MANAGEMENT
1. Knowledge of SOLAS Chapter IX, Resolution 741(18).
B) PORT STATE CONTROL
2. Knowledge of General aspects, Resolution 787(19).
C) SURVEY AND CERTIFICATION
3. Knowledge of details of certificates required on a passenger, bulk, oil chemical or gas carrier, the convention to which the certificates belong to. Damage control plans. Provision and display of maneuvering information on board.
D) FIRE PROTECTION
4. Knowledge of Fire Appliance :— Maintenance and ready availability, fire control plan, fire drills. fixed lire fighting system, various FFA and its usage
E) RADIO COMMUNICATIONS
5. Knowledge of functional requirements, Radio installation, Radio personnel and Radio records. Avoidance of false distress alerts.
F) LIFE SAVING, SEARCH AND RESCUE
6. Knowledge of Muster list and emergency instructions, drills, on board maintenance, Operational readiness, MERSER mannual. Various LSA and i. usage.
G) SAFETY OF NAVIGATION
7. Knowledge of Distress Messages.—Obligation and procedures. Mantling, Ice Navigation, Collision Regulations, Ships Reporting System. Navigation in special areas such as straits of Malacca and Singapore, English Channel, Entrances to the Baltic sea. Offshore installation and structures. Avoidance of dangerous situation in following and quartering sea. Aspects of ship handling with or without tugs. Anchoring and berthing vessel under the Influence of tide and wind. Piracy and Armed Robbery against ships. Stow away. National and International obligation following collision, grounding. Methods of refloating and surveys subsequent to refloating. Abandoning snip, survival procedures. Precaution when beaching.
8. Knowledge Of provisions for ship carrying Liquid Chemical in bulk. Liquid gas in bulk. Solid bulk cargoes with chemical • properties that may entail hazard during transport. Grain in bulk. Carriage of dangerous packaged goods. Care of cargo : Hague rule, Hague Visby Rules, Hamburg Rules, Containerisation and Multi-Modal Transport.
I) POLLUTION FROM SHIPS
9. Knowledge of provisions of MARPOL 73/78, Requirement for reporting incidents involving dangerous goods, harmful’ sub-stances and/or marine pollutants. National and international Liability for oil pollution. International compensation fund.
J) MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
10. Knowledge of safety measures helicopter operations on ships. National and International provision on Registration of ships. Official log books and its maintenance. National provision on Shipping casualties, Investigation and Inquiries, Salvage(LOF 95). Towage.